Cover letters can still be an important piece in the job search puzzle but most cover letters I see don't summarize the candidate's experience or add much value at all. Here is an example of a cover letter that showcases the applicant's key selling features for a store manager position:
As a top assistant store manager with 10 years of retail leadership experience in the home improvement industry, I am confident in my ability to contribute to the success of your company in the store manager position that is currently advertised on LinkedIn. Career highlights include:
- 5 years' experience as an assistant store manager with Home Depot in locations with $50-90M in sales volume.
- Promoted 3 times in the last 5 years; currently serving as the senior ASM in a $90M store, the highest-volume store in the region (110 locations).
- Turned around a $65M store that was underperforming in every area - drove it from last to first in the district in 18 months.
- Awarded "Assistant Store Manager of the Year" over 250+ other candidates in the region in recognition of turnaround success.
- Provided leadership, direction, and support to teams of 180+ full-time and part-time associates.
- Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Management.
- Fully bilingual; fluent in English and Spanish.
As you will see on the attached resume, I have proven very successful at every level, and I'd like the opportunity to bring my drive and determination to your organization. Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to discussing this with you in the near future.